In the second recap of the season, I take a look at the top goals of the year. There are plenty of other top goals, but these are from the ones that I saw in the games not just highlights.
Before getting to the list, here is a near-miss candidate from Cristiano Ronaldo.
While speaking of misses, here is also my miss of the season from MLS’ Kei Kamara.
Now, here are my goals of the year.
- Maicon (Brazil) vs. Korea DPR, FIFA World Cup
Korea DPR were frustrating Brazil until Maicon opened the scoring from a tight angle.
- Paul Scholes (Manchester United) vs. Manchester City, English Premier League
Manchester United needed a victory in order to keep their title hopes alive and Scholes got the winner late in injury time that even earned him a kiss from Gary Neville.
- Landon Donovan (USA) vs. Slovenia, FIFA World Cup
The USA needed a spark to make a comeback against Slovenia and Landon Donovan would provide it with another finish from a tight angle.
- Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich) vs. Fiorentina, UEFA Champions League
Bayern Munich needed a goal to advance and they got one from Arjen Robben who came up with lots of big goals for the German club during their run to the Champions League final.
- Clint Dempsey (Fulham) vs. Juventus, Europa League
Fulham looked dead and buried heading into the second leg against Juventus, but they fought back and won it behind a marvelous goal from the American.
- Fabio Quagliarella (Italy) vs. Slovkia, FIFA World Cup
It wasn’t enough for the Italians as they lost the game, but this was a fantastic finish that makes you wonder why Quagliarella didn’t play more.
- Dimitar Berbatov (Manchester United) vs. Liverpool, English Premier League
Berbatov had his credentials questioned as he couldn’t score in the big games, but came up with a hat trick including an amazing over head kick.
- Giovani van Bronckhorst (Netherlands) vs. Uruguay, FIFA World Cup
This goal came out of nowhere as Bronckhorst unleashed a long distance shot and his team advanced to the World Cup final.
- Andres Iniesta (Spain) vs. Netherlands, FIFA World Cup
This goal won a World Cup.
- Landon Donovan (USA) vs. Algeria, FIFA World Cup
This goal still gives me chills. U-S-A! U-S-A!
Feel free to leave your best goals of 2010.